(Transcribed and edited from an oral presentation by Dr. Greer)

This section deals with the Strategic Air Command and UFOevents involving nuclear facilities. I wish to emphasize again that the witnesses we have here are diverse. They range from the Atomic Energy Commission to people who have been at Strategic Air Command facilities and at missile launch control facilities throughout the United States and Canada. These witnesses give unmistakably clear testimony about the fact that these extraterrestrial vehicles appear to be quite concerned with our weapons of massdestruction. And in fact, more than one of these witnesses have stated to me that they believe that these extraterrestrial vehicles were there because they were very concerned that we might blow ourselves up- or that we might begin to go into space and be a threat someday to other civilizations.

I believe this is very important because, while none of these witnesses has stated that there ever was any hostile action taken by these objects, it is quite clear that they are concerned about what we may do with weapons of mass destruction. And this speaks to something very profound: That we have reached the point where the only possible future is one that is peaceful. The weapons are too powerful and the stakes are too high to advance any further and contemplate the use of such weapons. We must advance forward into space without using these vast weapons within our arsenal against any life form. The extraterrestrial civilizations, which appear to be monitoring our activity and have been doing so for decades, may indeed have this as one of their chief concerns. And it is very likely that entry into inter-planetary society has as its primary requirement the ability for a people to advance intospace peacefully. For we are not talking now of muskets and canons and swords but of thermonuclear weapons, pulsed laser weapons, and exotic technologies which can rip the fabric of time-space. It must be clear to all that the only survivable future is a peaceful one. This peace is the hallmark of the maturation of the human race.

It is also possible that people within the national military command structure, as well as the national security apparatus of the United States and other countries, have misinterpreted some of the actions from these extraterrestrial vehicles as a violation of our airspace or our sovereignty. I think we must take a wider look at this and consider the fact that if we were to come across a planet which, within a hundred years, had gone from an agrarian civilization to one capable of the early stages of space flight and which had thousands of thermonuclear devices capable of destroying worlds, that perhaps we would be concerned as well. I think that we have to begin to look in the mirror as a people and ask ourselves what we should be doing to ensure a peaceful future for our planet and also to guarantee that we keep these weapons out of space forever.

In discussing this issue about the Strategic Air Command facilities and nuclear events, you will learn that on some occasions these objects, which have hovered over control launch facilities or missile silos, have been able to take these devices off-line: That is, they have been able to render inert intercontinental ballistic missiles. I do not believe that this is a sign of any hostility on their part but their way of saying, "Pleasedon't destroy this beautiful planet; and know this: we will not let you destroy ours." I think it's very important for people to understand that such actions however, may have been misinterpreted by certain authorities within the vacuum of secrecy and this is something we must look at very carefully as a civilization. What happens within the darkness of secrecy? Secrecy grows on itself, and it creates an information and perspective vacuum where there's not enough give and take with people of differing views or from different walks of life. In that milieu, it's very easy for paranoia and misinterpretation to set in and that is one of the great inherent risks of obsessive secrecy — the kind of secrecy which President Eisenhower warned us about in January of 1961.


CaptainRobert Salas: December 2000

Captain Salas graduated from the Air Force Academy and spent seven years in active duty from 1964 to 1971. He also held positions at Martin Marietta and Rockwell and spent 21 years at the FAA. In the Air Force, he was an air traffic controller and a missile launch officer as well as an engineer on the Titan 3 missiles. He testifies about a UFO incident on the morning of March 16, 1967 where 16 nuclear missiles simultaneously became non-operational at two different launch facilities immediately after guards saw UFOs hovering above. The guards could not identify these objects even though they were only about 30 feet away. The Air Force did an extensive investigation of the incidents and could not find a probable cause. At a debriefing about the incident, an officer from the Air Force Office of Special Investigations required him to sign a non-disclosure form and told him that he was not to talk about the event to anyone including his family or other military staff. At a time during the Cold War when minor technical anomalies were openly communicated amongst the staff, this incident was not and to this day Captain Salas thinks this to be very unusual.

… The UFO incident happened on the morning of March 16,1967. I was on duty along with my commander Fred Mywald. We were both on duty at Oscar Flight as part of the 490th strategic missile squad and there are five launch control facilities assigned to that particular squadron. We were at Oscar Flight.

It was still dark out and we’re sixty feet underground [at the ICBM launch control facility]. It was early in the morning and I received a call from my topside security guard who’s the flight security controller andhe said that he and some of the guards had been observing some strange lights flying around the site around the launch control facility. He said they were acting very unusual just flying around, and I said, "You mean UFO? He said, well, he didn’t know what they were but they were lights and were flying around. They were not airplanes; they weren’t making any noise. They were not helicopters; they were making some very strange maneuvers and he couldn’t explain it…

It wasn’t more than a few minutes- maybe a half hour later-and he calls back and this time he’s very frightened; I can tell by the tone of his voice he’s very shook up. He says, "Sir, there’s a glowing red object hovering right outside the front gate — I’m looking at it right now.I’ve got all the men out here with their weapons drawn…"

I immediately went over to my commander who was taking a nap— we have a little cot down there for rest periods — and I was telling him about the telephone call we just received. As I was relating this to him our missiles started shutting down one by one. By shutting down, I mean they went into a "no-go" condition meaning they could not be launched. So we get bells and whistles — a red light no-go condition…

These weapons were Minuteman One missiles and were of course nuclear-tipped warhead missiles.

As they started shutting down, immediately he gets up and we both start querying the status board. We’ve got the ability to query and determine what the cause of the shutdowns was. As I recall, most of them were guidance and control system failures. And then he started reporting to the command post. In the meantime I called upstairs to find out what the status was of this object and the guard said, well, the object has left — it just left at high speed…

The Air Force did an extensive investigation of the entire incident and was not able to come up with a probable cause for the shutdowns. And I’ve got quite a few witnesses that will testify to that — we’ve got a couple of people who worked on the investigative team — and I’ve got correspondence from the man who actually organized the investigative team. There was no viable explanation for this [shutdown of multiple ICBMs]. Each missile is basically self-supporting. Most of them are powered by commercial power but each missile has its own power generator…

At our site anywhere from six to eight went down but they went down in rapid succession which again is an extremely rare happening. We rarely had more than one missile go down for any reason at all…

After I talked to my guard upstairs, my commander talked tothe command post. When he finished talking to the command post he turned to me and said, "The same thing occurred at ECHO Flight." ECHO Flight is another squadron, I’d say probably 50 - 60 miles away from our location but they had the same sort of thing happen. They had UFOs that were hovering, not at the launch control facility but at the actual launch facilities where the missiles are located. They had some maintenance and security people out there at the time and they observed the UFOs at those sites. Now they lost all ten of their weapons — all ten…

It was the same morning. So that morning we lost anywhere from between 16 to 18 ICBMs at the same time UFOs were in the area and were observed by airmen. Those missiles were down the entire day because we’ve got testimony from Colonel Don Crawford, who relieved the crew at ECHO Flight and he was there when the missiles were being brought up to alert status and he said it took the whole day. So I’m assuming it took our missiles all day to be brought back up also…

I wrote up a report about this incident; it was in my log and I turned it in. When we got to the base we had to report to our squadron commander right away. And in that room with my squadron commander was a fellow from AFOSI (we had an Air Force Office of Special Investigations on the base). He was there in the office with the commander. He asked for my logs and he wanted a quick briefing although it seemed to me he knew pretty much what had happened already. But we gave him a quick briefing and then he asked us both to sign a non-disclosure agreement saying this was classified information- we were not to release this to anybody, and that was it. We couldn’t talk; he told us we could not talk about this to anyone, including any of the other crews, our spouses, our family, even amongst each other…

I’ve got a copy of a telex which we received under FOIA coming from SAC headquarters and coming to Malstrom and other bases right after the morning that happened saying that this incident was of extreme concern to SAC headquarters because they couldn’t explain it. Nobody could explain what happened. And yet we never got de-briefed. And we were cleared for very high classification because these are nuclear weapons we’re dealing with.

We did get the security incursion alarms at those sites when the missile went down. That is unusual because usually when a missile went down for something like guidance failure, we wouldn’t get security incursion alarms, which means a perimeter is breached, an object crossed the fence, or something broke the security alarm system that we had on the perimeter of the launch facility. I did sent out guards to a couple of those facilities to investigate that.

The reason I think this story is very significant is because, going back to August of 1966 at Minot, ND, a very similar thing happened at one of the launch control facilities at Minot Air Force Base. They had the same kind of weapon system that we had — they had M-1 missiles. This [UFO] was observed on radar, there was some communication failure and the object was observed over the launch control facility.

That happened in August 1966 and that’s a well-documented incident. About a week prior to my incident, in March 1967, I’ve got a record of a call from one of the security guards who was out roaming looking at the launch facilities and saw an object very similar to what I just described over the launch facility…

Bob Kominski headed up the organization to look at all aspects of these shutdowns. Kominski relates to me in writing that at some point he was told by his boss that the Air Force said, "Stop the investigation; do no more on this and in addition do not write a final report." Again, this is very unusual especially in light of the fact that CINC-SAC headquarters was stating that this was of extreme importance to find out exactly what happened here. And yet, the head of the investigative team was told during the investigation to stop the investigation and not write a final report...


Professor Robert Jacobs: Lt. US Air Force, November 2000

Professor Jacobs is a respected professor at a major US university. In the 1960’s he was in the Air Force. He was the officer in charge of optical instrumentation and his job was to film ballistic missile tests launched from Vandenberg Air Force base in California. In 1964, during a test of the first missile they filmed, they caught on film a UFO traveling right next to the missile. He says it looked like two saucers cupped together with a round ping-pong ball like surface on top. The film showed that from the ball a beam of light was directed at the missile. This happened four times, from four different angles, as the missile was about 60 miles up and traveling at 11,000 to 14,000 miles an hour. The missile tumbled out of space and the UFO left. The next day he was shown the film by his commanding officer and was told to never speak of this again. He said, if it ever comes up you are to say that it was laser strikes from the UFO. Professor Jacobs thought this unusual because in 1964 lasers were in their infancy in the labs but he never the less agreed and hasn’t talked about it for 18 years. Years later, after an article came out about the film, professor Jacobs started receiving harassing phone calls at early hours in the morning. His mailbox was even blown up out in front of his house.

We sent the film back down to the base and- I don’t knowexactly how long it was after the event, it might have been a day or two — Iwas called into Major Mansmann’s office at the First Strategic AerospaceDivision Headquarters. I walked into his office and they had a screen and a 16mmprojector set up. There was a couch and Major Mansmann said sit down. And therewere two guys in gray suits, civilian clothes, which was fairly unusual. MajorMansmann said watch this and turned on the film projector. I watched the screenand there was the launch from the day or two before…

We watched the third stage burnout. And then on thattelescope we could see the dummy warhead. It’s flying along and into the framecame something else. It flew into the frame like and it shot a beam of light atthe warhead.

Now remember, all this stuff is flying at several thousandmiles an hour. So this thing [UFO] fires a beam of light at the warhead, hits itand then it [the UFO] moves to the other side and fires another beam of light,then moves again and fires another beam of light, then goes down and firesanother beam of light, and then flies out the way it came in. And the warheadtumbles out of space. The object, the points of light that we saw, the warheadand so forth, were traveling through subspace about 60 miles straight up. Andthey were going somewhere in the neighborhood of 11,000 to 14,000 miles an hourwhen this UFO caught up to them, flew in, flew around them, and flew back out.

Now, I saw that! I don’t give a Goddamn what anybody elsesays about it. I saw that on film! I was there!

Now when the lights came on, Major Mansmann turned aroundlooked at me and said, "Were you guys screwing around up there?" And Isaid, "No, sir." And he said, "What was that?" And I said,"It looks to me like we got a UFO." Now the thing that we saw, thisobject that flew in, was circular, was shaped like two saucers cupped togetherwith a ping-pong ball on top. The beam of light came out of the ping-pong ball.That’s what I saw on film.

Now Major Mansmann said to me after some discussion about it,you are never to speak of this again. As far as you are concerned, this neverhappened. And he said, "I don’t need to emphasize the dire consequencesof a security breach, do I?" I said, "No, sir." And he said,"Fine. This never happened." As I started for the door, he said,"Wait a minute." He said, "Years from now if you are ever forcedby someone to talk about this, you are to tell them it was laser strikes, lasertracking strikes…"

It’s not a secondhand story. This happened to me. And I wasa part of a United States Air Force cover-up for 18 years.

After an article [came out about the incident], the shit hitthe fan! I started being harassed at work. I started getting odd telephone callsthat would come during the day. At night, at my house I would get telephonecalls — all night long sometimes 3:00 in the morning, 4:00 in the morning,midnight, 10:00, people would call and start screaming at me. You are going downmotherfucker! You are going down motherfucker! And that’s all they would say.And they’d keep screaming that until I finally hung up the phone.

One night somebody blew up my mail box by putting a big loadof skyrockets in it. The mailbox went up in flames. And that night at 1:00 inthe morning the phone rang. I picked it up and somebody said, "Skyrocketsin your box at night, oh what a beautiful sight, motherfucker!"

And things like that have happened on and off since 1982…

I believe this nutty fringe around UFOs is part of aconcerted effort to keep serious study of it down. Anytime anybody tries tostudy this subject seriously, we are subject to ridicule. I’m a full professorat a relatively major university. And I’m certain that my colleagues at theuniversity laugh at me and hoot and holler behind my back when they hear that Ihave an interest in studying unidentified flying objects — and that’s justone of the things that we have to live with…

What happened to the film is an interesting story in itselfas Major Mansmann related to me and other people. Some time after I had gone,the guys in civilian clothes — I thought it was the CIA but he said no, itwasn’t the CIA, it was somebody else — took the film and they spooled offthe part that had the UFO on it and they took a pair of scissors and cut it off.They put that on a separate reel. They put it in their briefcase. They handedMajor Mansmann back the rest of the film and said, "Here, I don’t need toremind you Major of the severity of a security breach; we’ll consider thisincident closed." And they walked off with the film. Major Mansmann neversaw it again…

So there were two of us who were Air Force Officers at thetime and we saw something and we both corroborated with each other that we sawit. And what I have to ask skeptics or people who disbelieve what I’m sayingis why would I make this up? Why would Major (and Doctor) Mansmann make it up?What have we to gain? I’ve got nothing but pain and suffering out of it, outof talking about it. I’ve been harassed at my home. This was used against me,partially in losing a job once in teaching. I’ve had a hell of a time after I’vetold this story but I continue to tell the story because I think it is importantfor people to understand that this sort of shit goes on in the Government. Thatthe Government covers up information that we are entitled to know about ascitizens of this country. That’s why I tell my story. That’s why I’mtelling it to you…

The thing that’s important to me about this whole operationis very simply this: the biggest event in the history of humankind is thediscovery that we are not alone, that there are other living entities —intelligent entities — in this universe and that we aren’t here alone. That’sa huge, enormous discovery. It’s the discovery of the lifetime of humankind,isn’t it, to find out that we’re not here alone? That’s why I think it isimportant to talk about these things…

Because what I saw that day was something shooting down adummy nuclear warhead. What message would I interpret from that? Don’t messwith nuclear warheads. That’s probably the message I would interpret fromthat. Maybe somebody doesn’t want us annihilating Moscow; maybe we should stopdoing that.

Ronald Reagan one night went on television and did a mostastonishing thing: He stood up in front of America and said we are going tobuild a defensive shield, we are going to call it SDI, the strategic defenseinitiative, and its mission is going to be to protect us, to protect all of us.Ronald Reagan said we are going to share this with everybody. We are going toshare it with the Russians — our enemies, the guys that only a few years agowe were pretending to annihilate. Now suddenly we are going to protect them witha shield. From whom are we going to protect them?

Perhaps that was the first shot across the bow, the firstwarning shot from somebody saying, knock this off kids it’s time to grow-up.You don’t want to annihilate this planet, do you? Could be…

The information I’ve just given you about my take on whathappened there is based on not only my own speculation but having read otherthings and talked to other people over the intervening years. Perhaps ourparanoia is unfounded and if we encounter beings with superior technologiesmaybe we should embrace them and be nice to them because they might be showingus how to survive.


Lt.Colonel Dwynne Arneson US Air Force (ret.), September 2000

Lt. Col. Arneson spent 26 years in the USAF. He had an above top-secret SCI-TK (Special Compartmented Information - Talent Keyhole) clearance. He worked as a computer systems analyst for Boeing and was the Director of Logistics at Wright-Patterson AFB. At one point he was the cryptography officer for the entire Ramstein AFB in Germany and while there one day he received a classified message that said that a UFO had crashed in Spitsbergen Norway. While at Malmstrom AFB in Montana he again saw a message that said that a metallic circular UFO was seen hovering near the missile silos and that all the missiles went off-line so that they could not be launched.


Colonel Ross Dedrickson: US Air Force/AEC (ret.), September 2000

Colonel Dedrickson is a retired Colonel from the USAF. He went to Stanford business school where he studied management. Back in the 1950’s part of his responsibilities included maintaining the inventory of the nuclear weapon stockpile for the AEC and accompanying security teams checking out the security of the weapons. Many reports kept coming in that UFOs were seen at various nuclear storage facilities and some of the manufacturing plants. He has seen them himself many times and was present when the famous fly-over over the Capital happened in July of 1952. At that incident he recalls seeing nine illuminated disc-type craft. He also tells of at least two occasions where extraterrestrials destroyed nuclear weapons headed out to space, one heading to the moon to be detonated for tests. It was destroyed because "nuclear weapons in space … were not acceptable to the extraterrestrials…"


Harry Allen Jordan: USNavy, November 2000

Mr. Jordan spent 6 and a half years in the US Navy and was a radar operator on the USS Roosevelt in 1962. Trained in operations intelligence, he has a classified clearance and also worked in electronic countermeasures. He testifies that as a radar operator on the Roosevelt, he had a radar contact with a huge object above 65,000 feet traveling at about 1,000 knots. The Captain launched two Phantom-2 aircraft to investigate. As the Phantoms approached the UFO, it disappeared and about half an hour later it re-appeared but this time closer to the ship. He described the intimidation that followed the event. He later found out that in the prior year the Roosevelt had a huge UFO event that was photographed where people saw a saucer descend from the clouds. This happened more frequently after the Roosevelt took on nuclear weapons. Many years after Mr. Jordan was discharged from the Navy, he says that he was listening in on his HAM radio to the Space Shuttle STS 48 communications when he heard them speaking about seeing an alien spacecraft. He describes the harassment that followed after it was known what he had heard.


Mr. James Kopf: US Navy/ National Security Agency, October 2000

Mr. Kopf joined the Navy in 1969 and worked in communications part of the time on the USS JFK, which was carrying nuclear weapons. He worked for the NSA from 1980 till 1997. In his testimony he tells how in the summer of 1979 all the electronics and communications on board the USS JFK stopped functioning when a huge glowing orange-yellow UFO hovered above. He personally saw this pulsating UFO, as did a number of others. All eight teletype machines were printing randomly and the ship went to battle-station alert for two hours. A radar operator friend of his told him that the radar screens were glowing and then went black — they couldn’t detect anything. A few days after this incident the Commanding Officer and Executive Officer came on the ship-wide closed circuit TV system and reminded the crew that certain events that take place on board the ship are considered classified and should not be discussed with anyone. When the ship finally returned to Norfolk, VA, men in suits arrived to interview various crewmembers.


Lieutenant Colonel Joe Wojtecki, US Air Force, October 2000

Lt. Colonel Wojtecki spent 20 years in the Air Force and retired in 1988. He spent most of his time with Strategic Air Command and Tactical Air Command. He tells of a night in April of 1969 while stationed at Loring AFB in Maine when he and his flight instructor both saw three very bright lights in a perfect equilateral triangle silently moving across the sky. They estimated that this UFO was lower than 3,000 feet. He discovered the next morning when he reported for duty that for six hours, a UFO was seen hovering over a group of B-52’s containing nuclear weapons. Every time a plane drew near to the lights, they would part and move in ways that were very unconventional. When the planes left, the lights came together again and focused on the group of B-52’s. Many years later Lt. Col. Wojtecki attended a lecture given by SG and saw a photograph of a UFO that was the exact configuration that he had seen years earlier.


Staff Sergeant Stoney Campbell: US Air Force, October 1999

Sergeant Campbell entered the Air Force in 1966. In the summer of 1967 he was guarding a B-52 at a SAC AFB in Oklahoma when suddenly, directly over one of the B-52’s, a huge bluish haze appeared. It was in the form of a boomerang wing and was glittery and not solid. It was picked up on radar and seen by numerous people.